Basic Metal Shop SBU
In this Safety and Basic Use (SBU) class, learn to use the cutting and shaping tools most needed when working with metal. The tools work best on materials at least 3 mm (1/8”) thick (max. 25 mm), but some will work on thinner material as well. These tools are designed to work with steel and aluminium. Get hands-on experience using the vertical and horizontal band saw, cold saw, drill press, pedestal grinder, and disc sander.
This class is the perfect companion to the machine shop and welding classes.
Prerequisites & Other Requirements
- English language skills are preferable.
- No other class prerequisites apply.
Class Time & Duration
- Duration: 3:00 hours
- Please see the scheduled class time and duration below. In case this class is not scheduled or already fully booked, please contact our Front Desk.
- Mandatory: Closed-toed shoes, eye protection, and short sleeves. Pull back hair, remove all jewelry, and do not wear gloves.
- Advisable: Hearing protection
Age & Supervision requirements
- Minimum age: 12
- Maximum age: None!
- Each class is tailored for a specific age group. Find the class that fit your age group.
- During class, all 12 to 14-year-old students must be accompanied by a parent or guardian who is also enrolled in the class. When using the machines outside of class time, 12 to 14-year-old members must be accompanied and supervised by a parent or guardian who has passed the SBU.
- Members who are 15 years and above can, after successfully passing this class, use this equipment for your projects whenever you work at Makers Oman as a member!
- Please refer to our Minor & Shop Access Policies for more information.
- Meet 5 minutes before the class starts at Front Desk. Your instructor will meet you there to start the class.
- Makers Oman reserves the right to cancel the class if there is an insufficient number of participants.
- Registrations over the class size will be placed on a waiting list.
- Please check your contact details in your personal account, so that we can contact you in case of any changes.
* Membership is verified at the time of the class session. Be sure to bring your badge
|Non-Member Price: OMR 30.000|