Sand Blasting and Powder Coating SBU
Powder coating is a durable, simple to apply, easy to clean up, product. It is inexpensive, and more environmentally friendly than paint, as it has no VOCs and no solvents are used. The final product is more durable than paint, and powder is available in different colors and finish types.
The sand blaster can be used on metal, wood, glass, mirror, plastics and almost any material that is rigid. It will remove paint, rust and mill scale, as well as cleaning welds. (The parts must be baked at about 200 degrees for 15 minutes, so it will not work on magnetic items, or anything with grease in the part, like bearings).
In this Safety and Basic Use class, you will learn how to use a cabinet sandblaster to prepare a small metal part, clean and coat it with powder, and then bake it on in the powder coat oven.
Note: The sandblast cabinet and powder coating oven are large enough for motorcycle frames, bicycles and many other bulky items. Visit us to check the oven size if you have a specific project in mind.
Prerequisites & Other Requirements
- English language skills are preferable.
- No other class prerequisites apply.
Members can use the following equipment during their membership after successfully passing this Safety and Basic Use (SBU) class:
- Powder Coater
- Powder Coating / Curing Oven
Class Time & Duration
- Duration: 2:00 hours
- Please see the scheduled class time and duration below. In case this class is not scheduled or already fully booked, please contact our Front Desk.
- Mandatory: Closed-toed shoes, eye protection, and short sleeves. Pull back hair, remove all jewelry, and do not wear gloves. Because of possible shock (high voltage, low amperage) with a powder coating gun, members with a pacemaker, or any voltage sensitive medical equipment are not allowed to take this course or use the equipment.
- Advisable: Hearing protection, particle filter or dust mask.
Age & Supervision requirements
- Minimum age: 12
- Maximum age: None!
- Each class is tailored for a specific age group. Find the class that fits your age group.
- During class, all 12 to 14-year-old students must be accompanied by a parent or guardian who is also enrolled in the class. When using the machines outside of class time, 12 to 14-year-old members must be accompanied and supervised by a parent or guardian who has passed the SBU.
- Members who are 15 years and above can, after successfully passing this class, use this equipment for your projects whenever you work at Makers Oman as a member!
- Please refer to our Minors & Shop Access Policies for more information.
- Meet 5 minutes before the class starts at Front Desk. Your instructor will meet you there to start the class.
- Makers Oman reserves the right to cancel the class if there is an insufficient number of participants.
- Registrations over the class size will be placed on a waiting list.
- Please check your contact details in your personal account, so that we can contact you in case of any changes.
* Membership is verified at the time of the class session. Be sure to bring your badge.
|Non-Member Price: OMR 20.000|